I read an article titled “ADA taps Mullen to unify diabetes message” from the website PRweek. ADA is a nonprofit organization which stands for the American Diabetes Association. They hired Mullen as their first AOR to help unify their messages about the seriousness of diabetes. It’s a three year account that’s has a budget of about $1 million per year.
The American Diabetes Association is an organization that is leading the fight against diabetes and helping those that are affected by the disease. They fund for research to prevent, cure and manage, delivery services, and they provide information. The Association was founded in 1940, their mission is to prevent and cure diabetes as well as improve the lives of those affected by the disease.
The reason ADA feels that this is important to do is because in 2008 they conducted market research and found that too many people don’t understand why diabetes is so serious, even the people that have diabetes. The nonprofit organization is concerned about the mixed messages the public is receiving from them. By hiring Mullen they hope to change this and bring a better understanding about diabetes to the public. The CEO of ADA, Larry Hausner said that ADA is undergoing a major brand audit.
Mullen has many different offices and the one that ADA is working with is called Wenham and it is MA-based. They will be doing many different tasks for ADA such as developing a rebranding campaign as well as a long-term communications strategy. They will also do PR for the ADA’s annual events and programs along with public affairs.
Mullen is and has helped many different companies and organizations such as TJ Maxx, GM, Orbits, and Lending Tree. They encourage people to take risks, make decisions, and leverage opportunities. They have many different services that they do for people; some of them are brand planning, direct marketing, interactive, public relations and design.
I think that this is a great idea for ADA. More and more people are developing the disease at an older age and by informing people about it might help decrease the number of people that develop diabetes later in life. I hope that this works out of ADA and that more people have a better understanding of this disease.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am ECSTATIC to hear about their aggressive message and campaign to raise awareness and money for/about diabetes! My brother was diagnosed when he was in 3rd grade and it's been a daily struggle for him and our family to keep his blood sugar levels normal and avoid giving him even a common cold because even they can hospitalize a diabetic for weeks at a time. Diabetes and cancer are the two diseases that I fundraise for and participate in events to raise awareness for and this article and information make me very happy.
ReplyDeleteMy dad is diabetic and has been for easily 15 years if not more. I almost lost my dad to the disease about 6 years ago. So its good to hear that ADA is attempting to enhance their image. Along with getting the information out there and hopefully educating the youth along with the older folks.
ReplyDeleteI have been checked for diabetes just because my dad has it and as a safety measure, I decided I needed to make sure I didn't have it. My brother also got checked and has symptoms of having it. So he will have to be making sure to get that checked out.
Diabetes is one of the fastest growing diseases in America which is unfortunately affecting young children at an alarming rate.
ReplyDeleteThis year Jay and I spent a very different kind of Valentines Day – we went to the funeral of our friend son who had passed away from complications due to his Diabetes. How ironic that the day that is meant to be filled with sweetness of chocolate was the one thing that contributed to his early departure, sugar. His lack on knowledge about his illness left behind parents and children who are wondering what could have been done differently.
I think that this is a great idea – people need to learn more about this disease and what steps can be taken to slow down and perhaps prevent the spread of the disease.
Diabetes is becoming more and more common now days. I have recently been affected by this disease in someone that is very close to me. She is just 5 years old and their entire family is just learning all of the facts about it and learning how to control and maintain good blood sugars.
ReplyDeleteI think that it is very very important for people to learn more about this disease one so that they are aware of it and two so that they can prevent it from happening to them of loved ones around them.
We all need to more aware of both type I and type II as well. The more knowledge we have the better it will be for us to understand to be aware of how this can affect us.
Great Article Jess.