Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rihanna

I don’t pay much attention to all celebrity news and drama. I feel that most of the stuff the media tells is blown way out of proportion and just do it to make money. But for other people, they love hearing about who is dating who and which celebrity moms are the hottest and so forth. But when I heard about Rihanna and Chris Brown I was a little interested and as I kept reading about it I realized that Public Relations plays a big part in the whole ordeal.

In an article from ABC News titled Rihanna Won’t Discuss Chris Brown, but Thanks Fans, it talks about a leaked photo that might have come from the police dept. It says that the phone was first posted by a celebrity Web site called TMZ which didn’t explain its origin. The picture wasn’t even supposed to be viewed by anyone but the police and TMZ didn’t think twice about putting the picture up once they got their hands on it. There has been a lot of controversy on where the picture came from and whether they should published it at all.

The picture was supposedly taked after Rihanna’s boyfriend Chris Brown abused her and left her with bruises and cuts on her face. (click to see picture)

An article from PR Weekly Titled Rihanna aftermath rouses ethics debate explains that “traditionally, journalistic standards required reporters and editors to keep the names and photos of victims form publication.” David Hauslaib, editorial director of Jossip.com said “Rihanna’s star status and the luminary-obsessed nature of entertainment media have thrown the old rules away”

Jossip and TMZ are not the only outlets of the news, among them are Gawker, Newsday, the New York Post as well as US Weekly. They all published the photo; Oprah Winfrey also showed the picture and discussed the whole situation on her February 20 show.

People magazine was one that didn’t publish the photo. The news editor of People, Rob Howe said, “The photo is not supposed to be publicized; the police have made that clear. She (Rihanna) is a public figure, but we can help, as much as possible, protect her privacy by not publishing that image.”

So what is more important, good media or the privacy of a human being? Yes, Rihanna is a very well known celebrity but I believe that whoever released this picture was only thinking of themselves. Issues like this should be kept private, at least until the police figure the whole situation out. The people that chose to publish the picture were only doing their job and giving people what they want. But, I think that some things are more confidential then others. It’s an ethical issue and a choice that people have to make.

3 comments:

  1. i think this was probably just a publicity stunt done to help promote Rihanna. This kind of stuff happens all the time in the media, people say they arent supposed to publish that but it always seems they do. I dont know if someone pays these people off to get the images or what. In the long run i think it is a plus for the person. they get media attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much like what Justin said, I feel that it seems that celebrities and their issues are always in the news. Whether they should be or not. News reporters are like vultures, out for the best story they can get their hands on. I don't really think some of them (in this incident the People magazine editor would be excluded from this statement) care at all the outcome of what they write.
    But issues like this should be kept as private as possible, like Jess says, until they have it all figured out. It seems like the more fair choice for those parties involved in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When are people going to realize that "celebrities" are just normal people like the rest of us?! Ok, so normal is the wrong word there but they're humans too. So they have more money than we do? Not everything in life, not the most important things anyway, revolve around money. I'm sure they don't like their lives plastered across billions of television screens, magazine pages, and gossip tablets everyday. OOOO Britney Spears got another Starbucks...guess what: SO DID I! I feel bad for Rihanna and what happened because no one deserves that. But, we weren't there, we don't know what happened exactly and it's unfair of us to rub our faces in their business. It's between her and Chris Brown and there's no reason for the whole world to be able to read it.

    ReplyDelete