This week I really wanted to focus on what Public Relation really is. I wanted to know how people defined it and why it is so important. After reading the first two chapters in the Public Relations Writing book I learned a lot about Public Relations. When defining Public Relations the book explains that it is very hard for people to agree on one definition. Public Relation Practitioners all have had different experiences and view the Public Relations differently. The definition that the book gives “was adopted in 1978 in Mexico City during the First World Assembly of Public Relations Association and the First World Forum of Public Relations.”
Public Relations practice is the art and science of analyzing trends, predicting their consequences, counseling organization leaders, and implementing planned programs of action which will serve both the organization’s and the public interest
In order for a Public Relations Practitioner to fulfill the main goals, which are analyzing, predicting, and counseling, they need to be well educated and have expertise in many areas. They really need to understand human behavior and combine that knowledge with people in and out of the institution. People in Public Relations need to be flexible and ready for change as well.
I also went to the PRSA site and it explained what Public Relation is in their words.
“Public Relation helps our complex, pluralistic society to reach decisions and function more effectively by contributing to mutual understanding among groups and institutions. It serves to bring private and public policies into harmony.” I think that this explains Public Relations very well. Public Relations can serve as a mediator almost; they help inform the public which leads to easier understanding and less
Public Relations Society of America also describes Public Relations as something that anticipates, analyzes, and interprets public opinions and issues. People in Public Relations will also research, conduct, and evaluate programs of action and communication to achieve.
I now have a greater understanding of Public Relations and will use this knowledge a lot throughout this semester.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment